School leave letter is a salient part of almost every parent or guardian whose wards are in school. School leave letters serve the purpose of letting the respective head of your child’s school know under what conditions your child is unable to attend school.
What is a School Leave Letter?
School leave letters are letters drafted in order to explain a child’s absence from school for a certain period of time. These letters are generally addressed to the class teacher or the Principal of the school where your young man/lady studies. School leave letters can also be drafted by students themselves, once they are eligible enough to write proper letters.
When Can a School Leave of Absence be R
School leave letters can be utilized on a number of occasions. Some of them have been penned down below:
- Health Issues: This is the most prevalent form of leave letter. Children often fall sick and need medical attention immediately. In such cases, the leave letter is a must. Health issues can also be of someone in the immediate family for which it becomes difficult for the child to attend school.
- Trips: If you have planned a trip with your family within which your ward cannot attend school, then it is imperative for you to submit a leave of absence to your child’s class teacher or Principal. If the trip is abroad then it becomes all the more necessary to inform and ask for leave. The school-goer himself can ask for the leave as well.
- Marriages: This is another issue for which school leaves are sought. Marriages are joyous occasions, and marriages in the family are even bigger reasons to celebrate. The busy days of the ceremony make it very difficult for parents to wheel their children towards school. Besides the festive mood denies them any concentration in school as well.
- Accident: These are one of the most unprecedented and unfortunate leaves to be asked for. The accident can be either of the young people or of an immediate family member.
- Death: Deaths in the family are always devastating. School leave can be asked for the ward to take part in the religious ceremonies that follow closely after death, as well as to lessen the sense of loss on the young impressionable minds.
Why is a School Leave Letter Necessary?
If the student is unable to attend school for a certain period of time, then it is mandatory to provide a leave letter to the concerned authorities. Just like a leave of absence is required from a job, it is also necessary to take a leave of absence from school. The failure of which can have the following repercussions:
- If the school has strict attendance system, then not providing a letter of absence can lead to loss of attendance, which when it falls under the required limit; the student may be barred from taking examinations. Hence, providing with a letter of absence will help your child to not face these problems.
- In case the student has been absent from school for a long time without any prior notice, the school can send for the guardian, or call the guardian over the telephone to inquire about the student’s absence. This creates a negative impact on the guardian, who is not responsible enough to notify the school authorities of any such situation.
- If the leave has to be taken in the days when the examination of the school-goer is scheduled, it is advisable to present the letter as early as possible, so that the young fellow can be given another chance at taking the examination at a later or prior date. In this way, a simple letter can come up with an alternate way of taking the examination as well as the leave.
- Not submitting a leave letter can affect the overall guide of your child. A student who is frequently absent from school or is absent from school without notice is viewed as careless and insincere. You definitely do not want anything like that to be tagged to your child, do you?
- To foster a link of cooperation and communication between the school authorities and parent community. Keeping a written communication with the school authorities of your ward is essential to keep yourself updated with the ongoing in the school. A leave of absence from you will further ensure that you deeply care about the curriculum and methods.
The Format of a School Leave Application
- Begin with a respectful salutation. After all, you are addressing to a teacher or Principal of a school. You can use phrases like Dear Sir/Madam.
- Mention the designation of the person and also the school.
- It is important to highlight the date of application clearly.
- The subject should be mentioned in a concise and clear manner.
- The body of your letter should have three parts, short and precise.
- The first part is the introduction. Introduce yourself and your ward in the beginning. Mention the relationship between the student and you. Also, mention the date from which to which the student is to remain absent.
- In the second paragraph mention the exact reason behind the leave. Be precise about mentioning the cause.
- In the last paragraph, thank the addressed for taking time out and reading your letter. Request the person to grant the leave and also mention the exact date from which your child is to be expected regularly in school.
- Close your letter by sincerely thanking the addressed again and signing in your name.
emplate of a School Leave Letter by Parents or Guardians
You can follow this template to write any School Leave Letter for your children.
For your ease, you can simply copy this text and customize according to your need or keep it downloaded in Word Format.
[template icon=”824″ title=”School Leave Letter by Guardians” download_id=”859″ download_img_ig=”881″ download_title=”Download School Leave Letter by Guardians ” download_icon_id=”825″ download_label=”Download Now” color1=”#f9f9f9″ color2=”#e9e9e9″ color3=”#44b554″ ]
Name of the School
Address of the School
Date of the Application
Subject: Purpose of the letter in a Line
This letter is to inform you that (name of your child) is a student of your school, in class (the class in which the student currently studies). I would like to request you to grant him/her leave for (the number of days the leave is required) for (the reason you want the leave).
For this reason, it has become quite difficult for us to send (the student’s name) to school in the aforementioned days. I hope that you would understand our situation and grant (your ward’s name) the leave. I shall make sure that (student’s name) attends classes regularly after the leave and get all his homework and assignments covered.
I shall take the opportunity to thank you in advance.
Your Name and signature
(Your relationship with the student)
The Template of a School Leave Letter by the Student
Students can also write leave letters as and when required and present it to the concerned authorities of the school.
You can also copy the letter from here and use it when needed or keep the downloaded version of Word with you.
[template icon=”824″ title=”Template School Leave Letter” download_id=”862″ download_img_ig=”886″ download_title=”Download School Leave Letter Word Template ” download_icon_id=”825″ download_label=”Download Now” color1=”#f9f9f9″ color2=”#e9e9e9″ color3=”#44b554″ ]
Address of the School
Date of the Application
Subject: Purpose of the letter in a line
This due respect I would like to inform you that I, (Your name) am a student in your school, Class (Mention your class). I would like to request you for leave from (mention the dates) due to (state the reason behind your leave).
(Explain the situation briefly) For this reason it will not be possible for me to attend school during the mentioned dates. I would request you to kindly grant me the leave. I assure you that I shall keep myself updated on all the assignments and the homework.
I kindly ask for your consideration and thank you in advance.
Samples of a School Leave Letter
There are different reasons for which a school leave application can be drafted. A few samples have been shown below.
School Leave Application for Fever
School children are easy prey to ill health. Sickness and health go hand in hand in case of growing children. For that, guardians have to be on the edge, ready to write leave letters to the Principal and class teachers. Below is a sample School leave letter for fever.
You can copy the text format and reuse it hassle-free or you can download the document here.
[template icon=”824″ title=” School Leave Letter for Fever” download_id=”856″ download_img_ig=”883″ download_title=”Download School Leave Letter for Fever Word Template ” download_icon_id=”825″ download_label=”Download Now” color1=”#f9f9f9″ color2=”#e9e9e9″ color3=”#44b554″ ]
The Victory School
3884 Gnatty Creek Road
Brentwood, NY 11717
12th January 2019
Subject: Leave Application for Severe fever
With due respect, I would like to inform you that my ward, Wanda Garrison, a student of class III (A) in your school has been suffering from acute fever and severe headache. We have taken medical help and she has been advised complete rest for five days by the physician.
I hereby ask you the permission to grant her leave from 12th January 2019 to 16th January 2019. Once she is better and has regained her good health, I assure you that she will be joining her classes regularly and make up for the lost lessons.
I hope you will understand the situation and do the needful.
(Father of Wanda Garrison)
School Leave Letter for Marriage
Marriages are one of the most engaging and enjoyable occasions in the families. Since the celebration mood prevails neither
You can copy this text format for your use or download it as Word Document.
[template icon=”824″ title=”School Leave Letter for Marriage” download_id=”857″ download_img_ig=”885″ download_title=”Download School Leave Letter for Marriage Word Template ” download_icon_id=”825″ download_label=”Download Now” color1=”#f9f9f9″ color2=”#e9e9e9″ color3=”#44b554″ ]
Pine Hill High School
1790 Par Drive
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
15th January 2019
Subject: Leave letter for attending marriage
This letter is to inform you that Rene H. Corso a student of your school in class V (B) shall not be able to attend school for a few days in the eve of my brother’s marriage. The ceremony shall be taking place on the 20th of January and the celebrations will continue up to the 23rd of January.
I implore you to grant my daughter the leave of the aforementioned four days. She shall be rejoining classes regularly from 24th January and we promise to look after her education well.
I shall be thankful to you for granting her the leaves.
(Mother of Rene H. Corso)
School Leave Letter for Trips
There may be certain trips that you need to make during your child’s school sessions which can’t be scheduled in the school vacation days. These trips may include calls to Visa interviews or any urgent trip to someplace.
This letter can be copied from here in text format. You could also download it in Word document.
[template icon=”824″ title=”School Leave Letter for Trips” download_id=”858″ download_img_ig=”887″ download_title=”Download School Leave Letter for Trip Word Template ” download_icon_id=”825″ download_label=”Download Now” color1=”#f9f9f9″ color2=”#e9e9e9″ color3=”#44b554″ ]
Palm Valley High School
2644 Lilac Lane
Savannah, GA 31406
Date: 15th January 2019
Subject: Leave letter for Visa Interview
We are to take a vacation to Sicily in the upcoming summer vacation. For the purpose of that, we have to go for the visa interview which has been scheduled on 23rd January. Madam we could not get the interview rescheduled on a weekend since their embassy works only on the weekdays.
I would be thankful to you if you could grant this leave for 23rd January. I will make sure that Andrew takes the class notes from his friends and completes all the homework over the weekend.
Thanks, and regards,
(Father of Andrew Drake)
School Leave Application for Accident
Accidents are something which ascends on us when we least expect it. However, we keep ourselves prepared and alert, accidents can happen anytime. And when such calamities hit us, we get somewhat disoriented. But we have to keep our heads in place and think through. One of the foremost things on our list must be informing our children’s school about the situation and request them
This letter can be copied in text format and can be downloaded in word format.
[template icon=”824″ title=”School Leave Application for Accident” download_id=”854″ download_img_ig=”882″ download_title=”Download School Leave Application for Accident Word Template ” download_icon_id=”825″ download_label=”Download Now” color1=”#f9f9f9″ color2=”#e9e9e9″ color3=”#44b554″ ]
Class Teacher, class II(C)
Maple Leaf Academy
1704 Liberty Street
Dallas, TX 75204
Date: 12th December 2018
Subject: Leave Application for Accident
Kindly be informed that my daughter Sara T. Howard is a student of your school in class IV. While I was taking her home from her dance class yesterday, we met with an accident. I have escaped unharmed; however, Sara has fractured her leg.
Sara has been advised to remain in bed rest for at least 14 days. This letter is to ask you to approve her leave application and grant her 14 days of leave from 12th of January till 24th of January.
I am extremely sorry that you could not be told earlier, but I hope you will understand our condition and be able to help us.
Thanking you again
(Mother of Sara T. Howard)
School Leave Letter for Death
The pain of losing a loved one is beyond measure. All of us want to be with our family in times of such crisis. To ensure that your children are with you as well, draft a leave of absence for their school authorities.
You can copy this letter in text format directly from here or can download it in Word format and save it for future use.
[template icon=”824″ title=”School Leave Letter for Death” download_id=”855″ download_img_ig=”899″ download_title=”Download School Leave Letter for Death Word Template ” download_icon_id=”825″ download_label=”Download Now” color1=”#f9f9f9″ color2=”#e9e9e9″ color3=”#44b554″ ]
Eastside Secondary School
4048 Par Drive
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
Date: 9th October 2018
Subject: Leave Letter for attending Funeral
It is to inform you that I, Robert B. Jones is a student of class IX (D) of your school. It pains me to say that I have lost my grandfather today. I would request you to grant me a leave of three days beginning from 10th October to 13th October.
My whole family will be traveling to our native place to take part in the rituals of the last rite of my grandfather. I hope to gain your kind consideration. I shall regularly join the classes from 14th October.
Robert B. Jones
- Be formal in your tone.
- Be courteous and polite while approaching the respective person.
- Be precise and keep your letter to the point.
- After you have finished the letter, check and recheck for spelling mistakes and grammatical errors or punctuation errors.
- The reason you state for the leave must be a genuine one.
- It is important to highlight and mention the relationship between the ward and the sender of the letter. It is recommended that the sender be someone in the immediate family to authenticate the claim.